Sunday, January 15, 2012

Leftover Turkey


I wanted to do something with the left over turkey. Once again I need to keep away from carbohydrates as much as possible. I wondered if I could make a turkey melt, sort of like a tuna melt, but without the bread? Here is what we had.

First I made a salad.

1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1 stalk celery, divided use
1 thick slice onion, divided use
Romaine Blend, Bag o' Salad (my term!)
chopped pecans
Light Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing


Slice the strawberries and sprinkle with your favorite no calorie sweetener. I used Splenda. This was mostly important because it is winter and the strawberries are not the best right now. But I buy them year round and "dose them up" when needed.





Slice half the celery and put it in one bowl. Finely chop the other half and put it in another bowl. Coarsely chop half of the onion and put it in the first bowl and finely chop the rest and put it in the second bowl. Add the pecans and the strawberries and mix in a little dressing. Set aside.

Breadless Turkey Melt

1 1/2 to 2 cups finely chopped Turkey
3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon celery, finely chopped (Oh, so THIS is where it goes!)
1 Tablespoon onion. finely chopped (This, too!)
2 teaspoons pickle relish, but use a fork to drain them a bit
1/2 teaspoon mustard (a small squirt)
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg (I should have used one and now I'm telling YOU to use one!)
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese


Mix together everything except the cheese. I didn't use an egg and so my patties didn't hold together too well. So use an egg!

Put a small amount of oil in a large fry pan and use medium heat. Form 4 patties out of the mixture and fry until brown.




Turn over carefully. Place the grated cheese on top of each turkey patty. When these are brown and the cheese is melty, remove to a plate and serve warm with the salad. If you have left over pineapple, (OOH! I do. I have leftover pineapple!) use that. It always goes good with strawberries!

1 comment: