Friday, March 23, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas with Philadelphia Cooking Creme

I spent the morning shopping for fabric for a new quilt. My friend Jackie has a niece that designed a quilt and is giving classes in making it. It sounded fun, so I agreed and took the list of fabrics to Trinity Schoolhouse Quilt Shop. I bought a few of the colors I needed and will go shopping with the "girls" tomorrow to get the rest. ( I STILL think of us as girls, but girls must think of us as old ladies. Isn't THAT crappy?)




I needed light, medium and dark in red, blue, green and orange. I like what I picked so far, but if I find something better tomorrow I will just keep one of these for another project. I don't want to do too much of that , though. I hear about people that have huge fabric caches (Hello, Doris?) and don't want to go there. Buy and use is my motto.

So I soaked them all to make sure they were colorfast and then dried and ironed them. Now they are ready for a trip to another fabric store to find the rest of the quilt.

We obviously EAT every day, but I don't post what we eat every day. Sometimes it is leftovers from the day before and sometimes it is cereal or scrambled eggs. When it is something new I post it. I found that I had repeated myself on a post so now I keep a Master List of all recipes so I don't do that again. Today we tried something new. I saw the Cooking Creme in the store and decided to give it a whirl. Here is my take on the recipe on the container.

Chicken Enchiladas with Philadelphia Cooking Creme

EVOO
1 cup chopped onion
ground cumin
chili powder
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast. I used frozen, cooked strips.
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup mixed shredded cheese. I used Cheddar and Monterrey Jack
1 pot of Philadelphia Cooking Creme, Santa Fe Blend
Whole Wheat Tortillas
cilantro
green onion

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray Pam on a 13X9 baking dish.




Heat the EVOO in a large frying pan and add the onions. Thaw the chicken strips in the microwave and chop. Add to the onions. Now to me, Mexican food needs cumin and chili powder, so I added a bit to the onion and chicken mixture. I just sprinkled it on but if you NEED to know amounts, say 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each.




Add the drained tomatoes, cheese and 3/4 of the Cooking Creme and mix thoroughly.




We found some high fiber whole wheat tortillas. They were the burrito size. If you like the smaller ones, then you need 6. We used 4 of the big ones.




Spoon the chicken mixture into the center of the tortillas. It was kind of soupy so I tried to leave some of the liquid in the pan.




Fold the tortilla over and then roll the whole thing up and place it seam down in the prepared dish.

The reserved Cooking Creme is a little thick for spreading, so I added it to the reserved liquid in the pan and heated it for a bit. Then all the rest of the Creme was spread on top of the rolled tortillas. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.

While it is cooking chop the cilantro and the green onions. I made a salad...by MADE a salad, I mean I dumped some lettuce from a bag o' salad and added some onions and cheese. Then when I chopped the cilantro and the green onions, I added some of that, too.




When I took the enchiladas out of the the oven I added the cilantro and the green onions. I served them with the salad and some watermelon. I like the small, seedless, round watermelons. They are super sweet right now. They are just right for the two of us and will last for two meals.




The enchiladas were kind of big for the plate, so I cut them in half to serve. And now we have leftover Enchiladas and Watermelon for tomorrow! I like the whole cook once, eat twice concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment