Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson


A long time ago ( at LEAST 5 years) in a land far away (California)I used to keep a notebook of quotes. Not like famous quotes, but things I had come across in my reading that I loved. If it was funny or witty, I wanted to write it down.

Then we moved at the book disappeared. Do I think it is gone forever? No. I think it is in one of our many bookcases.

Maybe here.




Or here.




Probably not here, though.




It could also be in one of the many scattered bookcases in other rooms.


On the other hand it could be in a closet inside an unpacked box. Yeah, we have those, too. I won't bore you with the pictures.

So, when I was reading The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson,a Walt Longmire series, I kept finding sentences that I wanted to write down. The reason I need to write them down as I am reading is that once I turn the page, I have forgotten what it was I loved. That is my problem.

I don't want to reread the book. I have a bazillion (at last count) books that I have purchased, checked out or been given that I need to read. So I went to the store and bought a new blank notebook in which to write clever things. It is not a bound book like the other one, but I was feeling cheap and now I have the book that I will use in the future. Too bad I have lost forever the things in The Cold Dish. But it is NOT too late for YOU.




I liked the Walt Longmire series so well that I went to one of my favorite websites, kdl.org . Then I went to What's Next and found the list of books by Craig Johnson and ordered the next two in the series from our local library. I love the internet!

Craig Johnson is sort of like a mix of Tony Hillerman and C J Box. This series is about a fifty something sheriff in Absaroka County in Wyoming. There is the intense wilderness experiences and dogged determination by law enforcement personnel you get with C J Box and the Indian life and mysticism that Tony Hillerman wrote so well. And don't forget the absolute wonderful, witty and funny parts that I would quote for you if I had bought a new journal a week ago!

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to read Westerns, Mysteries or Police Procedural. I have only read the first in the Walt Longmire series, so I'll let you know how it holds up over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment