Saturday, May 26, 2012

Sharin' Flowers

                                  

There is a row of Quonset huts/greenhouses below our house on the hill.  It is called Sharin' Flowers and they sell vegetables and flowers in spring until they are gone and then close up for the next year.  We buy our tomatoes and other veggies from them most years.  Some years they are out when we get around to going.  Fortunately there are quite a few nursery entrepreneurs in Botetourt,but this is the closest.
                                     


We are late getting started.  I spent a lot of time on our blueberries and Roz's garden.  Then it rained cats and dogs on the days I had planned to go.  A little rain won't hurt (as they say in Tonga, "I not suka.  I not melt."), but the lightning kept me from working on the top of a hill with metal implements.

                                        

Every year I plant zucchini and every year I have a problem with some sort of larvae or moth or something that kills them.  I have tried spraying, but that was successful only one year.  You have to spray a lot and I don't like to do that to food that I intend to eat!  Paige at the library told me that if I plant after June 1 then the bug will no longer be hatching and looking to make trouble and I won't have to spray.  It seems that some people plant one to get started on their zucchini eatin' and then when it dies, they plant the rest,  for zucchini all summer.

                                       

Be careful opening the gate.  Check out the spiderweb.

Because I am so late getting started I bought one BIG tomato and a couple of smaller ones.  Two slicing tomatoes and one Roma.  I planted a basil.  They do well here and I like picking a few leaves fresh for the evening meal.  It looks like the lavender from last year is coming back from the winter freeze, so I didn't get a new one. 









I bought some zucchini and yellow squash.  I am keeping them in the garage until June 1.  I hope the insect that causes all the trouble will not find them there.  I bought some butternut squash for the first time.  I'll see how they do.  The plants come in 6 packs.  There is no way our garden will hold all those plants so I'll have to plant some and figure out what to do with the others.  We are going to a friend's house for dinner tonight.  I wonder if vegetables in a flimsy plastic pot make a good hostess gift?!

No comments:

Post a Comment