Saturday, May 26, 2012

Walt Longmire Mysteries

                                          

I wrote earlier about the Walt Longmire mysteries by Craig Johnson. I read the first one and then loved it so much I went to the county library website an started ordering a couple each week.  I wish I could BUY the books of all the authors I love, but I read over 300 books a year and it is just not possible.  Add that to the wish list for when I am rich and win the lottery.  The ability to go to bookstores and Amazon and buy what ever strikes my fancy.

I used to read Tony Hillerman back when he was writing and I became a fan of C J Box, but Craig Johnson is a new find for me.  He reminds me a bit of those two authors, so if you have read and enjoyed them, then try Mr. Johnson.  That is one of the things I miss about no longer working at the library.  I loved finding just the right book for a patron.  I used to pull books I loved and display them with a quick write up and why someone should give them a try.  It was fun to see those books fly off the shelves and get the positive feedback.

One of the things I like about these mysteries is the humor.  The action scenes are broken up with clever and witty writing.  Here are two parts I loved from Junkyard Dogs.  Speaking about being outside on a winter day in Wyoming, "It was Monday of the second week in February and people talked less because their words were snatched from their mouths and cast to Nebraska." Or when describing a Styrofoam cooler  "one of the cheap ones that you can pick up at any service station in the summer season and then listen to it squeak to the point of homicidal dementia."

Don't you love it?  I want to invite him to dinner!  And may I say that one of my fantasies of opening a B&B is that writers I love will show up and I can meet them and talk about books over coffee.  I know it won't happen, but I can fantasize about it!

So give Craig Johnson and his Walt Longmire series a try.  It will please you on many levels, not the least of which is that there are people out there willing to put themselves in harm's way to keep us safe and get the bad guys.  I love that in a book.


I am currently reading the last one the library has, Hell Is Empty.  The next one ( As The Crow Flies) is being catalogued now and I have to wait...or I can get it on my Nook.  I have about 10 books from the library left to read, so if I get to the end of my stash and Crow Flies is not ready to check out, I will get it on my Nook..  And that is some compliment.  PAYING for a book.  Take my word for it and start with The Cold Dish.  You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment