Friday, June 1, 2012

At Last

You have to imagine Etta James singing a bluesy "At Last".  Ahhh.  That's right.  Now picture my quilt.  All finished.  At Last!  Finally Finished Falling!   That's the name of the quilt I made.  I just LOVE the colors.  I'm already thinking of doing another one......

I finished the binding today about 4 o'clock.  Just before this huge storm blew in.  Kinda scary.

I had sewn the binding on the machine yesterday, but it took FOREVER to hand stitch the back side.  There is a cool way to mitre the corners.  When you stitch the binding to the front of the quilt, you stop 1/4 inch from the corner. 

                                       

Then you remove it from he sewing machine and fold it up at a 45 degree angle.  Then you fold it down again so that it is even with the edge of the quilt.  (I know that I'm supposed to cut the excess fabric after the binding is sewn on the front, but it just makes sense to me to do it just before.  And until someone explains to me why I should wait, I 'll just keep cutting before binding.) 

                                        

When you finish the whole front you fold everything over to the backside and do a blind hem stitch. 

                                           

Then you have to mitre the back side to match the first and it is kind of cool how it all works out.

So this is the finished project.  I have to make a label and then I have to STOP quilting.  I have a lot of things I need to do that don't involve my limited sewing ability. 

The quilt shop is going to have a class on a quilt that I want to make.  She said it will be in September, but I can't go if it is when our daughter is getting married in England.  "Oh, I'm sorry Trista.  I can't make your wedding.  I have a quilt class that day."  I really want to take it, but Trista is more important.

It might not be a bad idea to wait for a later class and get some things done around here. I tend to get obsessive and do nothing else when I'm in the middle of a project.  I don't think I am ready to solo in quilt making, though.  Maybe after one more class!

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment