Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blueberry Peach Cobbler

When Lee and I go to town we like to stop by the Fresh Market for the best produce.  We had just been to the regular market and didn't really need anything, but like I said, when we are in town we go to see what is there.  We always find something that we "need".

We found peaches and so I bought them.  I had previously bought a small magazine-style recipe book that they place at the checkout counter knowing that I will come through and be hungry.  It was Crisps and Cobblers.  My favorite, fruit AND dessert.  And also potential B&B recipes.  They had some blueberry and peach cobblers and I tweaked and combined two of them to make our dessert.

We still have a bag of frozen blueberries from last year that we picked ourselves.  My goal is to use up the blueberries just before it is time to go pick some more!  So blueberries and peaches and a cobbler.  I am trying to watch my sugar and carbs, so I took that into consideration.

Blueberry Peach Cobbler ( low fat/low sugar version)

Pam
2 cups frozen blueberries
3 to 5 peaches
Splenda divided use, 1/3 cup and 2 Tablespoons
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Heart Smart Bisquick
1/4 cup milk, I used 1 %
2 Tablespoons REAL sugar, divided use
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon corn starch

Pre-heat the oven to 400.  Spray a small oven proof dish with Pam.  Set aside

Place the frozen blueberries in a saucepan and sprinkle in 1/3 cup Splenda.  Heat on medium, stirring occasionally. 

While the blueberries are heating, peel and slice the peaches.  Place them in a bowl and sprinkle them with 2 Tablespoons Splenda and add in the vanilla.  Stir to coat and set aside.

                          

In a medium bowl,  mix 1 cup Bisquick, 1/4 cup milk and 1 Tablespoon REAL sugar.  Mix until moistened.

By now the blueberries should be cooked enough, but kind of watery.  Use the same 1/4 cup measure (rinse it out first) and use it to put 1/4 cup water in a small glass.  Add the corn starch and stir to dissolve.  Add it to the simmering blueberries and stir.  It should thicken quickly.  Remove from the heat and assemble.

                             

Dump the peaches in the baking dish.  Spread the blueberry sauce over the top.  Then using a large spoon drop the Bisquick in small mounds over everything.  Sprinkle the last of the sugar over the top of the Bisquick mounds.  Bake for 18 minutes or until nicely browne
                             

Serve with Cool Whip.  We had some strawberries and I sliced them and added them on the top.


                             

 I wish I could come up with some patriotic name.  It IS red, white and blue, after all.  It was delicious and you won't miss the sugar or the fat.

                                

(Note:  I writes notes on 3X5 cards when I cook to keep track of what I used and how I did it.  As you can see my handwriting is atrocious, so I am very appreciative of my computer and backspace!  I wonder what happened to the REAL 3X5 cards.  The new ones are so thin and flimsy they could almost be computer paper cut in smaller sizes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment