Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cashew Curry Chicken Salad

I found this recipe in one of those small magazine-type recipe books at the checkout counter at the grocery store years ago.  My rule of thumb is, if there are at least 5 recipes that you think you would like to try then you can buy it.  I don't remember using any other recipe in this book, but this is a favorite.

Cashew Curry Chicken Salad

4 cups uncooked rotini, I use the Barilla pastas most of the time
2 cups cubed cooked chicken.  I go to the deli at the market and get 2 1 inch slices. I trim the brown edges (this is for the dog and cats...and because I don't want the brown parts in my salad.)

                                  

1 1/2 cups red seedless grapes cut in half
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 oranges, peeled and chopped
1 cup cashew halves.  These REALLY make the salad.  I suggest buying more than one cup, though. This salad is great the next day, but by then the nuts are soggy.  They taste fine, but the crisp, salty nuts make this salad.  So add fresh ones the next day for lunch.

Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream (feel free to use low fat on these )
3 Tablespoons OJ.  I used one heaping Tablespoon of the concentrated OJ from the freezer and did not reconstitute it.
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon curry powder.  I DON'T use the hot kind.
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook the rotini to the desired doneness.  Try for al dente, because it will soften a bit with the dressing.  Drain and then rinse it with cold water to stop the cooking process.

                                  

In a large bowl add all the chopped ingredients and then add in the pasta.  Stir.

                                    

In a small bowl mix the dressing ingredients.  Blend well.  Add to the salad and stir carefully to coat everything with the dressing. 


                                      



If you will serve this at a later time, add the cashews just before serving.  If you want to make this a day ahead, make extra dressing as the pasta may absorb some and you will need to add a bit more, along with the cashews

No comments:

Post a Comment