Thursday, June 28, 2012

Skillet Corn Griddle Cakes

                            

I was sitting in the dentist's office waiting for Lee.  There was a Better Homes and Garden Magazine and I found a recipe I wanted to try.  I ALWAYS carry a small notebook and started taking notes.  Wait a mnute.  Isn't this an office?  "Excuse me, but could you make a copy for me?"  Of course they could and this was way more polite than tearing out the page, wasn't it?

Skillet Corn Griddle Cakes

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups corn kernels cut fresh from the cob.  This took two ears for me.
salt
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk, plus additional for thinning batter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion  I used a red onion .  I liked the red and brown bits in the Griddle Cakes.

Toppings

Use these or think up your own.  These worked great for us.
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped avocado

                   

Carefully cut the kernels from the cob holding the corn standing up and cutting downwards.  Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat.  I used a cast iron skillet.  Add the corn kernels in an even layer and generously sprinkle with salt.  RESIST the urge to stir for at least 3 or 4 minutes when you will hear the kernels sizzling.  Stir and then leave alone off and on for a total of about 16 minutes.  They will all be nicely browned.  Remove from heat and set aside.

While you are between corn stirrings put the flour, corn meal, salt and baking powder on one side of a medium bowl.  Crack the egg and place it to the side of the flour.  Add the oil and milk on top of the egg and stir about with a fork.  Then mix it in to the flour.   See how clever I am to save washing one whole, entire dish?

Add the chopped onion and browned corn. 

                           

Wipe out the skillet.  Add a bit more oil and drop the mixture by one to two Tablespoons into the hot pan.  Cook until the edges start to brown and it appears to have set.  Turn over and brown the other side. 

                             

When I started the second batch the batter had thickened and I added a wee bit more milk, probably about 1 Tablespoon.

Top each Griddle Cake with the sour cream first and then the other toppings. 



We ate ours as the main dish.  They would be great as an appetizer or a side dish.  We couldn't eat all of them so we will save the rest for breakfast and have them with butter and maple syrup.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had dinner yet and boy does that make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete