Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Strawberry Puff

I saw this recipe in a Sunset magazine a long time ago.  I tore the page out and never made it.  I found it in a binder of recipes I had saved for future use and thought it would be a good dessert.  And it was.  I made some pralines in case it (or I) bombed, so I had to eat TWO desserts.  Bummer (Oops.  Dated myself.)

Strawberry Puff

2/3 cup water
5 Tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
1 Tablespoon sugar
2/3 cup flour
3 large eggs
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 teaspoon grated orange peel, I used a micro plane and used a whole orange. 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
About 2 cups sliced strawberries

Strawberry sauce (see below)

Combine the water, butter and sugar in a medium sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over high heat.

                                   

Add the flour all at once and stir quickly until the mixture pulls away from the pan.  Remove from the heat and stir until all the flour is incorporated and the mixture is smooth.  Let cool about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.



I put it in the bowl of my Kitchen-Aid mixer.  Add the eggs one at a time and mix fully between each egg.  Stop mixing when each egg is blended in so you don't over mix.  You can use a spoon.

                                        

Spread the dough in a buttered 9 inch cheesecake pan with a removable rim.  I used Pam and an 8 inch pan, because that is what I own.  Spread it evenly over the bottom and up the sides about 1 inch.  This will give a bit of a rim to your Puff.

                                     

Bake in 400 oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  Take a toothpick and prick the pastry about 12 to 15 times and put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes.  It should collapse a bit.  Then transfer to a rack to cool.  It will collapse a bit more.

Wash the mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, orange peel and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Switch to the wire whisk attachment.  Add the sugar and the whipping cream.  Beat on low until blended and then high just until the mixture forms high peaks.  I had to wait a bit to put everything together, so I put the mixing bowl in the fridge to chill until I was ready to assemble it.

Loosen the rim of the pan and use a knife around the pan sides to release the pastry.  Remove the sides.  Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the pastry

                                       

and then sprinkle the strawberries over the top.  Cut into wedges and serve with strawberry sauce.



Strawberry Sauce

Coarsely chop about 1 1/2 cups strawberries.  Place them in a medium sauce pan and add 2 to 3 Tablespoons sugar.  Heat until boiling and the strawberries soften.  Remove from heat and use a stick blender to puree the sauce.  WEAR AN APRON.  I got splashed! 

                                      

Add 2 Tablespoons orange liqueur, if you desire.   I used Triple Sec.  Chill.

The sauce isn't necessary, but it cooked while I was fixing everything else, was easy and it was good.


This is a new favorite dish.  I need to invite someone over again so I have a good excuse to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment