Monday, July 16, 2012

Peach Mango Crisp

                            

We still had a bunch of peaches.  It is hard to go through a whole flat for just two people.  We went to IHOP for breakfast.  Lee and I split an omelette and still couldn't finish it.  That is just too much food for one person.  Delicious, though.  When we eat out we usually can't face a whole meal for dinner, still a bit too full, I guess.  So I made dessert for dinner.  We had to use the peaches pretty soon and neither one of us could face a big meal.

Peach Mango Crisp

Pile o' peaches.  I only had 4 1/2 left because one had gone soft on the bottom.  Could have used 6 or 8.
1 mango  Same thing with the mango.  I had one so I used one.  Could have had 2 or 3 more.
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/8 cup flour
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped  Pecans would also work.
4 Tablespoons Splenda brown sugar, divided use.  You can use regular brown sugar, but you will have to double the amount.
dash of salt
2 teaspoons corn starch.

Pre-heat the oven to 350.  Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with Pam.

Once again I didn't have any lemon juice.  This is useful for keeping the peaches from turning brown.  Because of this, I made the crisp part first.  Then the peaches would not sit around.  If you have lemon juice sprinkle a teaspoon or two over the cut peaches.

                   

I have some cereal called organic Raw that I bought that is mostly oatmeal.  It also has barley, quinoa, rye and wheat.  Sounds great, right?  So I used that instead of the oatmeal and it was delicious, but oatmeal works just fine. Put the oatmeal of your choice in a bowl and add the flour, finely chopped walnuts, cinnamon, salt and 3 Tablespoons of the Splenda brown sugar.  Stir it up a bit with a fork and then cut in the butter.  You can use a pastry blender or slice across the mixture with two knifes.  Set aside.

                   

Peel and slice the peaches and the mango.  This time after I made my two big slices of mango, I peeled them and then lay the long slice on the cutting board and cut it in cubes.

                  

Put them in the prepared dish.  Sprinkle the cornstarch and the last Tablespoon of the Splenda brown sugar over the top and mix well. 

                  

Spread the topping over the peaches and put in the oven for 30 minutes.  Cool slightly and serve warm.

Lee asked, a little hesitantly,  if I was planning on serving the crisp with ice cream.  I hadn't, but I told him he could have the last bit for his.  Well, no, he couldn't.  He had eaten it earlier and wanted to make sure I wasn't mad.



So serve it with ice cream...if you have any...or a dollop of Cool Whip, which we DID have.  I like to keep it around.  It makes plain fruit seem like a dessert and it is low in calories and fat.

This would have been great for four people.  We had two servings each and that was dinner.  I love dessert for dinner.


1 comment:

  1. I'm a little envious of your cooking abilities. It is not one of my strong points.

    ReplyDelete