Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pineapple Peanut Coleslaw

                              

Usually I write a list before going to the grocery store.  I know what I want and try to stick to it.  Sometimes while shopping, I will see something I want that is NOT on the list.  And that is why we had coleslaw last night.  It caught our eye while buying salad and so we picked up a bag of shredded cabbage.  We didn't see any dressings we liked so I made one up.  Plus, I didn't want a big jar of dressing that would sit in the fridge and take up room when we don't have coleslaw all that often.  The power outage really cleaned out my refrigerator and I don't want to clutter it all up again!

Pineapple Peanut Coleslaw

1 bag Dole Shredded Cabbage for Coleslaw, or just shred your own, make a big mess and then chop some carrots and use a bit of purple cabbage and try to find a use for it before it spoils.

Pineapple tidbits in cups.  The rest are good for a snack or to take for lunch and you don't have to use them up before they spoil.  Sheesh!  It is way more complicated to cook for two people than a family!

1/4 cup peanuts chopped.  I like them and it could have used more but that is all I had left because SOMEONE ate the rest when I wasn't looking.

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vinegar

1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Splenda
salt and pepper

I didn't have any, but it could have used a few Tablespoons chopped cilantro.

                             

Drain the pineapple juice into a cup and then drink it. ( Waste not, want not.)  Chop the pineapple and the peanuts.  Place them in a fairly large salad bowl.

Put the milk and the vinegar in a small bowl, stir and let sit for a few minutes.  This is my version of buttermilk when I don't have the real thing.  I won't buy it for a few Tablespoons worth.

                                

Mix the mayo, lemon juice, and the s & p in with the pineapples.  Add the milk and stir.  I decided it needed a bit of sweetening, so I added a teaspoon of Splenda.  You may not like it sweet, so taste it first before adding any sweetener. 

Dump the cabbage in the bowl and toss gently.  If you have cilantro, mix it in at the same time.



(Next year I will try to grow cilantro.  I like it a lot and can't always find it in the store.  Plus, I only need a bit at a time and hate to buy a bunch and then toss it.  SO, note to self, plant cilantro...)

No comments:

Post a Comment