Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pork Fresca Tacos

                                  

Now that I no longer work at the library, I find myself indulging in slug-like behaviors.  Yes, I watch TV while eating my lunch.  Then I knit for a bit before resuming some sort of actual work.  I like to watch The Talk for lunch and we usually watch The Five during dinner.  The Talk is NOT the sort of show Lee would watch!


Guy Fieri hosts another of our favorite shows, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  He was on The Talk and made some low cab pork tacos that sounded good.  I checked the web site for the recipe, but they didn't have it, so I came up with MY version and it was great.  It used a lot of fresh produce and seemed like a light version, so I used Fresca in the name.   It is worth a try even if you aren't trying to lower your carbohydrates.  Before you start, know that this is a bit messy and you may not want to serve this dish when you have invited royalty over to dine.

Pork Fresca Tacos

1 small pork tenderloin
2 cups diced watermelon
1 cup diced English cucumber
1 diced avocado
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1 lime
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided use
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar or Splenda
Romaine lettuce leaves

Pre-heat oven to 425.

                                    

It is hard to find small pork tenderloins in the market without additional flavoring.  Just buy whatever one you think will go with this meal.  Heat one of the Tablespoons of Olive Oil in a cast iron pan.  Brown the tenderloin on all sides , then place in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  (Then wipe up the grease all around the stove top...Sheesh!)

                                    

Slice and chop up the watermelon.  I used about half of one of the small round watermelons.  I cut the cuke in half and then peeled it.  I cut each piece in half length-wise and cut the majority of the seeds out in a wedge.  Dice the rest and add to the watermelon.

                                  

Cut and dice an avocado.  Chop the cilantro and put everything in a big bowl.  Squeeze a lime over the top and stir to coat.  Set aside.

                                 

In a medium bowl add all the rest of the ingredients, except for the lettuce leaves.  Mix and set aside.

                                 

Rinse and dry at least two lettuce leaves per person.  This should make about 6 to 10 depending on how full you fill them!  Try to use medium to small leaves as the largest ones will be hard to handle and a lot of the filling will fall out.  Use the ones the size of a real taco shell.

After the tenderloin is done, let it rest for at least five minutes.  Thinly slice.  I think the sauce was intended for the watermelon mixture, but I used it differently.  Place the pork slices in the sauce and turn them around to coat.  Use tongs to do this and then line a few pieces up on each lettuce leaf.  Top them with the watermelon mixture and enjoy. 

You can place everything on the table and let each diner fix their own taco.  It was delicious and light and I didn't miss the tortilla.


2 comments:

  1. I would love to try. I will pick up the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was great. I hope you let me know if you liked it.

    ReplyDelete