Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chicken Tacos

 

Going to California made me miss Mexican Food.  Earlier I made Hominy Quesadillas.  It needed corn tortillas and the smallest package of corn tortillas holds 24.  I did not want to throw the extras away, so I have tortilla meals planned all week.  Today is Chicken Tacos.

Chicken Tacos

Chicken breasts  I used about 1 pound of chicken tenders
Mix of 2 cups Cheddar and Monterrey Jack, shredded
Shredded lettuce
1 Roma Tomato, seeded and diced
1 small avocado
1 cup red onion, divided use
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper
vegetable oil


I chopped and shredded everything first.   Put them into individual bowls.

 

Use a medium fry pan.  Add about 1 Tablespoon oil.  Cook 1/2 of the red onions.  While they are heating cut out the thick white tendon from the chicken breasts and thinly slice them. 

Meanwhile heat a few Tablespoons of oil in a large fry pan.

 

Add the chicken to the onions and sprinkle the spices over them.  Add s & p to taste.  They will cook quickly. 

 

When the oil is hot add as many tortillas as will fit in the other pan.  I could fit three.  Heat them for a minute or so on each side.  Then put them on a plate with a paper towel to soak up any extra oil.  I made two tortillas for each of us.  And one extra in case we wanted it.  And we did.  I mean I did.

 

When the chicken is done put it in a bowl and put everything on the table.  It is make your own taco night!

 
Save the leftover chicken and any cheese for tomorrow.  Don't save the avocado.  It will be a brown mess.  Tomorrow will be enchiladas and the rest of the flan.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever been to The Cheese Shop in Stuarts Draft to buy spices? They have great prices and a big selection.

    ReplyDelete