Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Steak Chili

   

If you read this blog often you may notice a pattern.  I like Chili recipes.  I also like to NOT have my stomach attack me all night.  So I tend to make Chili that has flavor but not too much heat.  In my defense, I did go to the store in Daleville and look for some dried chilies.  There were none in the produce section and none in the mighty small international section.  Well, there were none that I could find, at any rate.  So if you are a HOT chili aficionado, add the spices of your choice.  Or dump in some Tabasco sauce.  Don't call ME when you can't sleep.

I like chili with a chewy texture.  This means I like it with chunks of chicken or steak.  I really like kidney beans.  So I made this one up as I went along and my guests seemed to like it, or at least they were polite enough to wait until they drove home to complain about it.

Steak Chili

1 to 1 1/2 pounds stew meat  ( I know I said steak.  You can use that, too.)
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1/2 cup Burgundy I buy the cheap stuff and keep it for cooking.
2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 14.5 oz. can Beef Broth
15 oz canned Tomato Sauce ( I had 2 8 oz. cans...SALE on them)
1 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes.  The one I bought had chili spices already added.
2 16 oz cans Kidney Beans
1 small can Green Chilies  Be careful, the jalapeno ones are HOT.
1 small can corn
1/2 can tomato paste
6 or so strips of bacon  I used 6 because that was how many were left in the box.

I like the steak in my chili very soft and chewy.  This means you have to start early in the day and let them cook slowly.  I used  a large stew pot.

  

Heat 2 or 3 Tablespoons oil ( I used olive oil , but Canola is fine) in a heavy stew pot over medium high heat.  Add the onions.  While they are getting soft, trim all the fat off the meat and dice.

  

 Add the meat to the softened onions and add the spices and chopped garlic.  Stir until they start to really smell great. 

  

Add the Burgundy wine.  Let this cook until the wine is reduced by half.  It should take about 15 or 20 minutes.  Use this time to wipe all the lids and figure out the corn bread you will need.  Check out my recipe with the Three Bean Chili. 
  


This is a good time to cook the bacon.  I use the pre-cooked kind and just heat it for 2 minutes in the microwave.  Drain the bacon on paper towels and when cool, crunch them up and save for later.  Then I had to hide the bacon bits in the pantry so the cats wouldn't get them.

  

Add the beef broth and the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.  Reduce to a simmer and let cook for about 2 hours, stirring from time to time.  It will start to smell REALLY good and you will get hungry, but you have another hour so get a snack.

 

 
  
 

 

Add the beans, the corn and the small can of chilies.  My Chili had really cooked down, so I added 1/2 of those skinny cans of tomato paste.  I put the rest in the freezer for a future use.  Add 1 cup water, stir and cook for another hour.  First I brought it up to bubbling and then reduced it to a simmer.

Just before serving add in the bacon and stir.  Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we enjoy chili too, but not any unpleasant after effects, so we also tend to put in less hot ingredients. This looks like a recipe to try, once cooler weather sets in because chili and hot weather don't go together for me. Inhave tried chicken chili but prefer a beef based version.

    ReplyDelete