Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Unbaked Fruit Cobbler

   

I wanted to make a dessert with fruit.  I like the idea of cobblers, but I decided I didn't want to bake the fruit.  But I wanted a cobbleresque topping.  Why not bake some cobbler rounds and then put them on top of the fruit?  No reason as far as I can see.

Unbaked Fruit Cobbler

1 large mango
3 large peacharines (or peaches)
1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1 cup Bisquick  I used the Heart Smart Bisquick
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk  I used 1 %
1 /2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Cut up 4 or 5 different fruits.  I had just been to the Fresh market and saw some Peacharines..This is a hybrid of peach and nectarine.  Why not try something new and untested on company, I always say?  Well, not always, but I did this time.  And mangoes are always good.

   

I peeled and diced the fruit.  Because it would have to sit for a bit, I sprinkled a Tablespoon of lemon juice on top and mixed it around.  This keeps it from turning that yucky brown.  Then add 1 1/2 Tablespoon of sugar and let it sit.  I had some time before the guests would arrive so I put it in the fridge.

Now to bake the topping.  Pre-heat the oven to 425.  Grease a cookie sheet, use a Silpat or sheet of parchment paper.

  

I used the recipe for the shortcake on the box.  Mix the Bisquick, sugar and milk.  Add in the cinnamon and let it rest for a few minutes.  While you have the sugar and cinnamon out put the smaller amounts in a little dish and set aside.

Spoon the dough onto the cookie sheet.  This should make 6 or 7 large cobbler tops.  You could easily get 8 if needed.  Sprinkle the reserved sugar/cinnamon mixture on top just before baking.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.  Let cool on a wire rack.

 
Place the chilled fruit in a clear bowl or goblet.  Place the cap of cobbler on top.  Add vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip.  Or do like I did and add BOTH.  It made for a nice, not too sweet ,refreshing dessert.

My pictures for this post are getting sort of fuzzy.  I think my camera is slowly dying.  I hope to keep it going until Christmas, when I will beg for a new one.  If the horses sell and after the daughter-in -England-wedding, finances may loosen up a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Just made a blueberry-pear cobbler over the weekend which was so easy, and this one looks like another one to try as we really like mangoes too. I posted the recipe I tried on our blog, if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete