Thursday, October 11, 2012

Egg Waffles



We live out in the country.  Even when we go in to town and go to the mall, there are a lot of stores that we don't have.  So when we go to the BIG city I like to wander in Williams Sonoma.  I always hope for a new exciting kitchen gadget that I DON'T own.  The last time I was in Orange County, California, I stopped in.

And they DID have something new.  It is called an Egg Waffle Pan.  It makes a popular street snack in Hong Kong called gai daan jai.  It makes little bubbles of waffles connected by a thin membrane of waffle.  It looks fun and delicious.  Gotta get one.  OOH. A bit expensive for a pan that only cooks one thing.  I know...Gift list.  I keep a gift list on the fridge.  If you want to know what I want for Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day...right there.  No guessing necessary.

So this week I got an Egg Waffle Pan in the mail.  How did you know?????

   
 
The recipe on the packaging was terribly involved.  Lot of egg yolks and whipping of egg whites.  The last time I tried that for my fancy schmancy Belgian waffle maker, it was OK.  But the Krusteaz mix was better.  And WAAAAY easier.  I am all about the easy.  I decided to use the Krusteaz version.

   

The difference between the suggested recipe and the Krusteaz version was mostly more eggs and sugar and a few other variations.  That's OK. I can add eggs and sugar to the mix!  Here is the version I tried and it was really good.

Egg Waffles (or Bubble Waffles )

3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons Oil
1/2 cup water
dash of nutmeg
1 1/2 cups Krusteaz Belgian Waffle Mix

Mix all the above ingredients together. Sure I whisked the eggs with the sugar.  Then I added the oil and the nutmeg.  I dumped in the Krusteaz and whisked that in with the water.  But basically mix it all together.  Not rocket science, we're going for easy, here.

   

While you're doing all this, heat both pans, bubble side up.  Pour some oil in a little bowl and brush both sides with the oil using a silicone brush. 

The recipe called for 3/4 cup of mix.  I did this and it bubbled out all over my stove. 

   
   
So use a bit less than 3/4 of a cup.  Pour it into the center of one of the heated pans.  Place the other one on top and flip it over and place it on the burner..  There is a little thingamajig that hooks them together.  Practice hooking them together when the are cold and empty!  Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.  Then flip it over again and cook for another 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.

While it is cooking set up a cooling rack.  When it is done remove the top bubble pan and set it back on the second burner to reheat.  We're making four waffles here.  Take the pan with the cooked egg waffles and turn it out on the cooling rack.  Set the pan back on the burner, oil it again and keep going.

The pictures show a waffle rolled up in a cone form.  I thought I could fill it with slices strawberries and at least TRY to call it a healthy meal.  I spread some Peach jam that I made this summer and then placed some sliced strawberries in the middle.  I even added a dollop of Cool Whip, just for fun.  When I tried to roll it up, it broke apart.

   

No problem.  I used a fork to eat the strawberries and then pulled apart the bubbles and ate them.  A bit messy, but I can lick my fingers as well as any six year old!  Because this was a bit of a failure I was FORCED to then heat another waffle up in the toaster oven...it had started to get a bit soggy and I wanted it crisp...and just sit and pull it apart, one bubble at a time!

My lovely daughter, who gifted me with this wonderful new pan is coming for a visit.  But I can't make her any because she is currently eating gluten and lactose free. I'd like to try a savory version with out the sweet.   I am thinking of something with egg and cornbread with sauteed onions and green chilies.  Let me ponder this awhile...like while I digest almost two whole waffles....

2 comments:

  1. A nice gift, now if only the waffles were a bit easier to prepare...but they do look very good and sure the results were worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally catching up on your blog, friend! Love that you received this present and enjoyed a meal from it. And enjoyed your book reviews - I like Nancy Thayer though she needs to research her facts just a little bit better sometimes - and I didn't know you were working at the Buchanan Library. Filling in?

    ReplyDelete