Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kielbasa and Potatoes with Honey Mustard

   

I love me some baked vegetables.  Particularly potatoes.  I found a recipe with Kielbasa and honey mustard and I was IN!

Kielbasa and Potatoes with Honey Mustard.

3/4 cup white wine  The alcohol will all bake out, but you can substitute chicken broth if you wish.
1/4 cup sweet, hot mustard
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 lb. Kielbasa I used the Lite version
1-1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
1 large onion, sliced




   

Heat oven to 400.

   

Mix the wine, mustard and brown sugar in a small bowl until well blended.

   

Here is my OCD coming to the forefront.  I don't like the casing on the kielbasa.  It looks like paper.  I know perfectly well it is edible, or they wouldn't put it there, but I can't like it. So I take it off.

   

It is time consuming and messy, but the dog likes me to do it because I let him eat the trimmings. He doesn't mind paper as long as it tastes like kielbasa.  You, on the other hand, are probably normal, so just cut the kielbasa into chunks.  You may have to slip a small piece to your dog, because he will not be getting any trimmings!

   

You don't need to peel the potatoes, but I like to peel off any weird looking bits.  I know. I know.  I am strange.  Then cut them into 3/4 inch pieces.

You will be relieved to know that I am content with merely peeling my onions before slicing them.  No strange, OCD rituals necessary.

   

I used a cast iron pan, but the food was a bit crowded.  If you don't have one, use a shallow baking sheet.  Put the meat, potatoes and onions in the pan and drizzle with the mustard mixture.  Stir to coat.

Bake for 55 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Stir once or twice while it is baking to coat everything with the mustard sauce.  By the time the potatoes are cooked through, the sauce will have thickened.  It makes a great addition to the usual mixed veg dinner.

Serve with a salad.  Sure, potatoes are a vegetable, but we need our greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment