Monday, April 15, 2013

Beer Muffins


This is a recipe I found in the Roanoke Times although it was originally from the Monterey Herald.  I wanted something to have with the new chili recipe I was trying and didn't want to fall back on my old stand-by, cornbread.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my cornbread, but I wanted to try something new.

The basic recipe can be changed by adding different beer and cheese.  For instance you could use Corona with jack cheese, scallions and some chipotle chili.  Or go sweet with hard cider, Cheddar and some sugar.  I chose to go with the Guinness.

   

Beer Muffins with Guinness

2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Guinness
6 Tablespoons butter, melted, cooled, divided use
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided use
1 to 2 Tablespoon sautéed onions
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds

Preheat the oven to 375.  Spray a muffin tin with Pam.  I only got 9 muffins, but I could have made smaller ones and gotten 12.

   

Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in the microwave or small saucepan and set aside to cool.  Cover it with a paper towel to keep from splattering the microwave.  Don't use plastic to cover it.  Haven't you been getting those emails?

   

Finely dice about 2 to 3 Tablespoons of onions.  Sautee them in a small fry pan until they become translucent.  Set aside.

   

You don't need a mixer for this recipe.  Just place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Stir in the beer and 4 Tablespoons of the butter. Stir until everything is moistened. 

   

Add 3/4 of the Cheddar cheese, the onions and the caraway seeds.  Divide the batter among the muffin cups.  I used a large ice cream scoop and got 9 muffins.

Drizzle the rest of the butter over the tops of the muffins and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.

   

Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 18 minutes for 12 muffins and 20 to 24 minutes for 9, like I made.

   
   

Cool the pan for 5 minutes and then remove the muffins to a cooling rack.  Serve warm with melted butter.

They were pretty good and I loved the caraway seeds.  I want to try the version with Raspberry Ale , crumbled goat cheese and 6 Tablespoons sugar.  Or maybe the one with Stout and orange zest, 6 Tablespoons sugar and mini chocolate chips.  And I will in about 5 to 10 pounds!


1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, would like to see the new chili recipe that these muffins accompanied, but it's unlikely I will try the beer and cheese muffins. A couple of years ago, I made a cheddar zucchini bread and it was not a hit.

    ReplyDelete