Monday, August 12, 2013

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

I seem to make varicose veins in one leg.  I had one removed in the 80s and then about 2 years ago I had another one removed.  That should have made me problem vein free.  For some reason another one popped up a few weeks ago.  I could feel it getting bad for a few months, but it seemed to pop out overnight.  I was going to let it go, but then the pain began.

As long as I could elevate it many times during the day and never sat upright I was OK.  At meals I would place my leg alongside my plate.  Isn't that a pretty picture?  But I have a ticket I purchased a few months ago to go visit my mother in California.  I leave tomorrow.  So I started to worry about the flight.  I went to get a consult and the decision was made to fix the darn thing on Friday. 

 

Much like childbirth, I had forgotten how much the surgery hurt.  I hobbled around all weekend until I could cut off the compression bandage. When I moved the wrong way it would push my patella off to the side.

 

So now I am wrapping it again in an Ace bandage.  A little support helps.  I wonder if the airport screeners will want to see what is under the bandage.  Can they see through it and know that I am not smuggling a banned substance??  I sure hope so.  Of course it could feel great at 4:30 AM tomorrow and I could leave it off!

 

That is my current plan.  Or I could wait to go through security and then go to the restroom and wrap it.  I don't really want to take off my pants in a toilet area.  Doesn't sound the least bit sanitary.

 I hope no one is next to me so I can put it up on the empty seat.  Lee bought me a first class upgrade, so I will have plenty of leg room and can move it around.

And that is just one of the reasons he is my favorite husband.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar surgery a couple of years ago on my left leg, but only had to wear the compression wrap a day or o. Still have varicose veins, but they don't cause me discomfort (luckily) so I opt not for surgery. Hope the pain subsides in awhile and you made it thru security without any hassles. Good for Lee and glad to read he's your favorite (and only) husband. Enjoy the CA visit, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Had no idea this was going on with you. Hope you.are doing a bit better by now. Thinking of you. Xox

    ReplyDelete