Friday, August 23, 2013

No Churn Ice Cream


I found a super easy ice cream recipe from Martha Stewart.  I used to have an ice cream maker, but it took forever and made a small amount. Plus, it was noisy.  When I saw Martha Stewart's no churn method, I was intrigued.  It seems that you whip the cream and fold it in the other ingredients and that is how the air gets mixed into the cream.

The recipe is for Vanilla Ice Cream.  I love vanilla ice cream, but I also had a bunch of peaches left over from a trip the Bryant Orchards shop in Daleville.  I figured I could make peach ice cream from vanilla, by adding peaches.

This is Martha Stewart's recipe for:

No Churn Ice Cream

1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons Bourbon (optional)
2 cups cold heavy cream, whipped

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. 

Whip the cream into stiff peaks and fold it into the mixture and freeze in a loaf pan for 6 hours to firm up.  Easy right?  But I wanted PEACH ice cream, so here is what I did.

 

No Churn Peach Ice Cream

1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons Peach Schnapps (optional)
2 cups cold heavy cream, whipped
2 large peaches, diced small


 

Mix the sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla in a large bowl.  I had some Peach Schnapps, so I decided that made more sense than Bourbon in this recipe. It is optional, though.

 

I used my Kitchen Aid mixer for the heavy cream.  It takes about 5 minutes to whip the cream into stiff peaks.  Keep an eye on it for the last few minutes, as you can over whip it and it will break down.

 

Peel and dice the peaches.

 

Scrape the cream into the bowl with the milk mixture.  Gently fold it in.  You don't want to break up the air bubbles you just whipped into it.

 

Fold in the peaches and freeze in a loaf pan for 6 hours to firm up.  I tried it in 4 hours and it wasn't firm enough, but it was yummy.

 

It had to wait overnight for a taste, but ice cream and peaches sounds like the perfect breakfast, doesn't it?
 

1 comment:

  1. Can we come for breakfast at your house, Rebecca, cause there's nothing wrong with this menu...it's all right. And, peaches are healthy, right?

    ReplyDelete