Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Reading and Stitching


I requested a bunch of new books from the library.  Yes, I prefer paperbacks, but with some books I can't wait for the paperbacks to come out.  So I have to risk carpal tunnel or some other problem to read them.  Is there a reason they make the hardbacks so much bigger and heavier than they used to?  The only reason I can think of is to justify the increasing prices.  You gotta love the library.

Usually when you place a long list of requests, it takes quite a while to get all the books. They tend to come in a few at a time.   This week a whole bunch came in all at once.  I read pretty fast, but I am leaving soon to go visit my mother so it has been necessary, a requirement, really, to do tons of reading every day! : )  It is a crime to have a late library book.  Well, not really, but I hate that.

 

This means I can't get to the stocking that I am STILL working on.  It is taking forever!  That's OK.  It is for my favorite son-in-law and he is worth it.

 

I only have a small patch of the background to finish filling in.  Then I can begin working on the details. This is from the package. 

 

This is where I need to finish.  That is when it is really fun and you can see results much faster.

 

The books I have been reading are really great and I recommend them highly.

Catherine Coulter's FBI series is always good.  Bomb Shell continues her tradition of giving you details of characters from the earlier books in the series, so I suggest reading this series in chronological order.  This book has two different story lines going and at the end she tells you that there will be a new series coming soon, A Brit in the FBI.  That is always a plus with Coulter.  She never disappoints.

 

I am currently reading the Karin Slaughter book, Unseen. It is a mystery with cops and bad guys and it was hard to put it down to go to bed.  I woke up at 5:30 and started thinking about it.  I had to get up and get started reading.  I will finish it today.

Dorothea Benton Frank writes Lowcountry stories.  They are always engaging, emotional reads and make me want to go to Charleston, South Carolina and all the nearby islands.  That is my plan for the Fall.  Do you have a favorite place I HAVE to see?   The Last Original Wife is just what it says.  A woman finds herself that last original wife in her group of friends.  One passed away, but all of her other friends have been replaced by newer and younger trophy wives.  She begins to reassess her life and marriage.

 

Susan Wiggs is another favorite author.  In The Apple Orchard she writes about a family separated by events that go all the way back to war torn Denmark.  Through the book you get to travel to Sonoma and de-stress along with the protagonist.  Maybe we should all buy an apple orchard.  I love a book with recipes, as this one does, and I intend to try some of them.

 

Another great choice is David Rosenfelt's Unleashed.  Any book with a Golden Retriever on the cover can't be bad!  His Andy Carpenter series is great.  This one not only uses Carpenter's legal expertise, but he ends up trying to fend off a potential terror attack.  Rosenfelt always writes with humor, has clever plots and is one of my all time favorite authors.

So go read a great book.  But don't check out too many at one time.  Reading books should not add to your stress!

1 comment: