Saturday, September 7, 2013

Chicken and Rice Soup...with only a Modicum of Arsenic!


At least that is what the government is telling us. Minute particles of arsenic are found in rice.  Brown rice has the most arsenic of all rice, it seems, but I like brown rice and parts per billion of arsenic don't scare me!!  Well, not much, and I don't eat it every day.

I made some chicken breasts in a Crock Pot for tacos and had a bunch left over.  It is hard to buy one chicken breast.  I also had all the broth used to cook the chicken, so I put all the leftover chicken and the broth in the refrigerator and then made the soup the next day.  If you missed the blog about the chicken tacos, just use 2 cooked chicken breasts, or cut up a cooked rotisserie chicken from the market and add 32 ounces (one big box or two little cans) or chicken broth and you have caught up with the rest of us!

 

Chicken and Rice Soup

2 cooked chicken breasts, cut up or shredded
32 oz. chicken broth

if you used my recipe your broth will have the following ingredients in it.  If not, add
1/2 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1-2 teaspoons cumin
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 to 1 small can green chilies

 

1/2 cup brown rice
2 Tablespoon wild rice
1 cup of chopped veggies.  I used carrots and peas, because I had carrots and peas.  Zucchini and broccoli cut up small would also work.  Use what you like.

   

Place the shredded chicken and the broth in a large heavy sauce pan.  If you are starting from scratch add the onions, garlic and spices.  Bring to a boil. 

 

Add the rice and the veggies and return to a boil.

 

  Turn the oven down to simmer and cover for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Test to make sure the rice is done and to see if you need to adjust the spices.  I like a bit of Mexican flavor with out the heat.

 

I served this with rolls, but we still have more and I will serve it with tortillas tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment