Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pineapple Macadamia Nut Cake

I ordered something for my mother from The Vermont Country Store. I now get a catalog every few weeks and a slew of emails suggesting that I need to order MORE. I sometimes glance through to see if maybe there is something I want. I found a pineapple macadamia nut cake that sounded delicious. But I don't want baked goods sent by mail. I want to make my own.

It's hard to get macadamia nuts in Roanoke. Good thing I picked some up last time I visited my mother in California! I searched the net for recipes. I found a bunch, but when I looked closer they were all the same recipe, just on different sites. And they were all for a 9X9 cake pan. I wanted to invite some friends over for tea and a square of cake would be okay, but a slice from a Bundt cake would be prettier. I wanted prettier.

I found a few Bundt cake recipes so I could figure out how much of what I could increase to fill a Bundt pan. I made a pretty Bundt cake that is moist and delicious. On the other hand, it is soaked in a bit of rum, so how bad could it be? I'm guessing it would still be delicious if you skipped the rum part. But I doubt I will ever find out.

 

Pineapple Macadamia Nut Cake.....soaked in RUM

2 1/2 cups flour
1 (3.5 ounce) instant vanilla pudding mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup rum  If you choose to skip the rum, substitute milk for the liquid
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple I used the kind in juice rather than syrup. You wouldn't want to eat a lot of SUGAR with your CAKE, would you?
1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped

 

Glaze

1/4 water
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup rum  I am assuming the rum is optional.  Use about 2 teaspoons vanilla if you leave it out.

 

Pre heat the oven to 350°.  Grease and flour a Bundt pan.  Set aside.

 

In a medium bowl mix the flour, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

 

Use a stand mixer, if you have one, to beat the butter until it is pale and creamy.  Scrape down the sides and mix for about 3 minutes.  Add the sugar and mix another 3 minutes.  Add the eggs and mix until it is once again creamy and pale.

Do not drain the pineapple.  Add the whole can to the mixing bowl and then put in the vanilla and the rum.  Mix again.

 

Carefully scoop about half of the flour mixture into the mixing bowl and mix at a slow speed.  When it is all incorporated, add the last of the flour and mix again.

 

I measured out a cup of macadamia nuts and chopped them up.  Fold them into the batter.  It will be a bit thick.

 

Spoon the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.  Smooth the top and bake for 45 to 55 minutes.  Test with a toothpick.  If it comes out clean, it is done.  Mine took 50 minutes.

 


When it is mostly done, start the glaze.  Place the water, butter and sugar in a small sauce pan.  Boil for three minutes.  Remove from the heat and add the rum.

Remove the cake from the oven.   Poke holes in the top with a skewer or toothpick.   Pour most of the glaze over the very warm cake.  Make sure to soak the whole top.  Which will become the bottom when it cools.
 
 

When the cake is mostly cool, place the bottom of a cake holder on top of the Bundt pan and then flip it over.  The cake should slide out of the pan and onto the cake plate.

 

Use a pastry brush to brush the rest of the glaze over the top of the cake.  When completely cool, cover and set aside until you can no longer stand it and serve.  Some people suggest 2 days is best.  I made this one day before my guests were to come. 

 

This a seriously moist and delicious cake.  The only thing I think would be better would be if I could figure out how to get chocolate in it or on it somewhere.  Until then, you can't beat it.


2 comments:

  1. I NEED to have this.: ) Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macadamia nuts and rum sound really good together, even without the chocolate, although that would be seriously decadent...and nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete