Monday, February 3, 2014

My New Favorite Coleslaw

There is a restaurant in Corona del Mar that I really like called Bandera.  One of my favorite dishes is the peanut coleslaw.  I have no idea what the recipe is, but I have discovered a close cousin and we have it about twice a month.

Peanut Coleslaw

Angel Hair Coleslaw
1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Marzetti Original Slaw dressing

 

The Bandera cole slaw is finely chopped in addition to thinly sliced.  I don't bother, but feel free to chop it a bit more.  Mostly I just dump the bag of thinly sliced cabbage into a medium bowl.

Chop up a bunch of peanuts.  I usually end up with about 1/2 cup, but I don't measure.  I love me some peanuts, so you may use more or less to taste.

Chop up a bunch of washed and dried cilantro tops.  Try to avoid too many leggy stems.  I usually end up with about the same amount as the chopped peanuts, 1/2 cup.

Stir everything in with the cabbage.

Add about 3 rounded soup spoons full of the Marzetti dressing, found in the chilled grocery section.  There may be other dressings out there that will work, but this is a nice one and doesn't have a lot of sugar, so it fits with my low carb diet.

It may look like you don't have enough, but you don't want to over dress this salad.  Just a touch of dressing, not soaked.  If you toss it for a minute or two, you will see that this is plenty of dressing.

 

This may not be even close to Bandera's slaw, but the cilantro and peanuts match theirs and it tastes great.  It makes for a nice change of pace from a regular lettuce salad and is a nice side dish.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good and I like the addition of the peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the piggy chicken recipe and with this side dish, i see a future meal...ps I would not skip the bacon on the chicken.

    ReplyDelete