Sunday, June 8, 2014

Fluffy Chocolate Ricotta Pancakes

I tried another recipe out of the book I received from my son, Travis.  It is called The Art Of Breakfast, by Dana Moos. 

 

Fluffy Chocolate Ricotta Pancakes

1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
3 eggs, separated
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided us
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups flour

 

optional
chocolate chips, powdered sugar, orange zest and my version of the...

 

Orange Rum Syrup

2 Tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
2 Tablespoons rum
1/3 cup pancake syrup. 

 

I didn't use real maple syrup because I find it too thin for my taste.  Use the maple flavored (or REAL) syrup of your choice.

 

Separate the eggs.  I put the egg whites in the bowl of my Kitchen Aid mixer and the yolks in a large bowl.

 

Add the ricotta cheese, milk, olive oil, orange extract, sugar, cocoa powder and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and whisk together. 

 

When it is smooth and well blended add in the flour and the baking powder.  Mix again.  Set aside.

 

Whip the egg whites and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in your stand mixer until they form stiff peaks.  Fold the egg whites into the batter. 

 

Be gentle as you don't want to smash all the air out of the egg whites you just whipped in.

 

I used a 1/3 cup measure to drop the batter onto a hot griddle.  When the top forms bubbles, flip and cook the other side.  If you choose, you can drop chocolate chips on top of the batter before you flip them over.

Make the Orange Rum Syrup.  Just combine all ingredients and whisk together.

 

Serve the pancakes with orange zest, powdered sugar or the Orange Rum sauce.  Or all three!

I liked these pancakes. But I am not sure pancakes are a good fit for my Bed and Breakfast.  Unless kids are involved.  They LOVE pancakes and a quiche doesn't thrill them. I suppose I will have to serve them without the booze, though.  Poor kids.

1 comment: