Friday, June 27, 2014

Sangria

Summer has barely started and it is hot!  I wanted a refreshing drink, but had some wine sitting in the pantry that I "had" to use up.  Oh.  You mean red wine doesn't go bad if you don't drink it?  Fine.  I wanted some wine, okay?

I threw a bunch of juicy things in a pitcher with some red wine and made my version of Sangria.  The nice thing is that you can change it to suit yourself.  This suited me just fine.

Sangria
One bottle of red wine
1 orange, sliced
2 lemons, sliced and pits removed
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups orange juice  I made mine from concentrate
2 Tablespoons lime juice  Feel free to add sliced limes if you have them.  I didn't.
1/3 cup Triple Sec or Brandy or Peach Schnapps  Use something fruity and booze related.

Ginger Ale

 

Place the sliced citrus fruit in a large pitcher.

 

 Pour the sugar on top and muddle with a wooden spoon.  You want to press on them hard enough to release the juice but not smash them into a big mess.

 

Add the juices and the wine. 

  
For some reason I am now craving a tequila sunrise.


Return to the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.

 

Place some ice cubes in a glass and fill about 1/3 of the way with chilled ginger ale.  Add the Sangria.

   

Drink one glass while fixing dinner and one glass while enjoying dinner.  Save the rest for another night!

I didn't add the ginger ale to the Sangria because I knew we wouldn't finish it in one evening and the ginger ale would have gone flat over night.  I will use fresh ginger ale tonight.


1 comment:

  1. Drat guess I had better get busy and do something with the bottle of red wine on the rack before it goes bad cause no point in letting that happen. Your suggestion works well for summer .... and I liked the BIG glasses bs smaller wine glasses (for all that fruit, of course).

    ReplyDelete