Friday, October 31, 2014

Pumpkin Banana Bread

It is Fall and you see pumpkins every where you go.  I decided to make something with canned pumpkin, but I didn't want to do the same old thing.

So I decided on ...

Pumpkin Banana Bread

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed, ripe bananas, about 2 bananas
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal, optional
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, cloves and allspice
1 or 2 Tablespoons chopped, candied ginger, optional

 

Heat the oven to 350°.  Spray a loaf pan with Pam.  Set aside.

The next part is best with a stand mixer.  Beat the butter until it is softened and a light yellow.  Add the sugar and continue beating.  Then add the eggs. 

 

After everything is mixed add the bananas, pumpkin and vanilla.

 

While things are mixing, sift together the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices into a medium bowl.  The flaxseed did not sift well, so I just dumped it on top.  I added the flaxseed for the fiber.  It is optional for you.

 

I used 1 Tablespoon of the chopped candied ginger and really like the pop of heat, so I will use 2 Tablespoons next time.

 

Add the flour mixture in two batches and beat until just mixed. 

If you like nuts, you may add 1/2 cup of them, but I wanted to eat a few slices and then needed to slice it thinly the next day, so I left out the nuts.

 

Scrape into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes.  Test with a toothpick to make sure it is done.  Mine looked done long before it was.
 


Cool for about 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.  Cool at least another 15 minutes before slicing.

I liked this bread.  It was a little bit pumpkin and a little bit gingerbread with the moistness of banana bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment