Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Apple Pancake

We spend way to much time watching cooking shows.  At night.  After dinner.  When it makes me really hungry.  I don't remember the show we were watching, but I think it was Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  I seem to remember Guy Fieri leaning over the chef's shoulder and admiring an apple pancake.  It sounded good to me, so I decided to try my hand.

For my first effort, I decided to go the easy route and used a pancake mix.  I may branch out on a future effort and make the batter, but this is what I made and it was a hit.

 

Apple Pancake
2 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled and cored and sliced
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups pancake mix,  mixed according to the directions

 

 

You will need a pan that goes in the oven.  I used one 10 inch pan and two 6 inch pans.  I wanted to give everyone their own pancake, but Lee and I split the big one.  There are only so many cast irons pans you can collect!  Preheat the oven to 350°.

 

Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat.  Add the sliced apples and sauté until slightly softened.  Add the brown sugar and continue cooking until the apples start to caramelize.  They will continue cooking in the oven.

 

Pour the pancake batter over the apple mixture and place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.  Keep an eye on it and remove it when it is golden brown and puffed.

 

 

Place a plate over the top of the pan, hold tightly and flip your wrists so the pancake can fall out on your plate.

 

Serve warm.   Some people may like a bit of syrup with their pancake.  Let them, if they wish.

 

They were pretty good and everyone liked them. I will use a lot more apples next time.  I would have preferred a higher apple to pancake ratio. 

You may have to adjust this recipe depending on how many you are serving.  I served four people.    Just use plenty of butter, lots of apples and enough brown sugar to make a sauce in the pan. Cover them with the batter and bake until golden. 

This recipe is good enough to go on the B&B menu.   Remember to ask for it!

1 comment: