Saturday, February 14, 2015

Stitching and Turning

I cut 116 pieces of interfacing for the arcs on the wedding ring quilt.  Then I started stitching them to the colorful arcs I already sewed, of six wedges each.

It is important to get the interfacing placed properly.  One side has glue.  The other does not.  When you are finished with this task, you will iron them in place on the background and then zigzag stitch around the edges.  The interfacing will glue the arcs to the fabric and then you stitch it in place.

 

First you place it smooth side up on the right side of the fabric.  Then you pin it in place and sew on the stitching lines.

You can sew them all, trim them all and then turn them all.  Or do a few of each, so you don't get sick of doing the same thing for hours.  There are 116, remember.

 

I trimmed and turned a few just to make sure I was doing it correctly before I sewed all of them INcorrectly.  I used scissors to cut on the curved cutting lines.  It would be difficult to cut them with a cutting wheel and not very accurate.

 

I bought a special turning tool.  You slide the FABRIC, not the fragile interfacing, under the clip on the turning tool and press it closed, to hold the fabric. 

  

Then , gently slide the fabric over the tool until it is right side out.  The rough, dried glue side of the interfacing is facing out.  Release the clip and finish turning the fabric. 

 

I also bought a wooden pressing tool.  This is just a flat piece of wood for rubbing on the edges of the seams to push them mostly flat for future ironing and sewing.

 

Three down and...um...113 to go.  Higher math takes a few seconds.

   



1 comment:

  1. I got glassy-eyed reading your directions. I have the worst time with directions and I'm a retired teacher. I'm one of those people who needs to be shown and then do it. (I think that's why I was so patient with my students. I really have to be able to see what I'm doing, not just read about it.) You'll have plenty of time to sew while you're snowed in this week.

    ReplyDelete