Saturday, March 21, 2015

Chocolate Baked Donuts

Yes, I know I am supposed to still be on my diet.  But I have been making progress and so I allowed myself another treat.  I just finished reading the latest Joanne Fluke murder mystery, The Double Fudge Brownie Murder. 

 

These books come with some amazing recipes.  This one has quite a few I will be using.  The first is the Chocolate Baked Doughnut recipe.  I made a few not critical changes and they were delicious.  I had a friend over for breakfast and will send some home with her.  Who cares if I sabotage HER diet?  Not ME.  That is the kind of wonderful friend I am...she said smugly.

 

Chocolate Baked Donuts

2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 and 3/4 cups flour, I used Swan's Down Cake Flour, but all purpose flour is what Ms. Fluke uses
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter ( I used 1/4 cup or 1/2 of a stick)

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.  I chose to leave these out.  The rest of the chocolate was sufficient chocolate for me as I was going to make some chocolate icing.  If you want to go for major chocolate, then add them just before baking.

 

Heat the oven to 350°.

 

Spray the donut wells in a Wilton pan with Pam.  I don't know of any other donut pan other than Wilton.  Set aside.

I chose to sift the Cake Flour with the cream of tartar, baking powder and the baking soda.  Add it and the cocoa powder to a mixing bowl, with the salt and sugar.  Mix on low speed.

 

Add in the eggs, keep mixing.  Then add the milk, sour cream, and vanilla and mix until combined.  While the mixer is still running, drizzle in the melted butter and mix until smooth.

 

Use a rubber spatula to give one last stir.  This is also the time where you can fold in the cup of chocolate chips, if you like.

 

I like to use a 1/4 cup measure to fill the donut wells.  In fact, each one takes about 1/4 cup.  You should fill them a bit more than 3/4 of the way full.

 

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.  Test with a toothpick in the middle of the baked part of one of the donuts.  If it is clean, you are done.  If not, bake a few more minutes.  Mine was done at 12 minutes.

 

Set the pans on a rack or a cold oven burner for 2 minutes to cool.  Use a plastic knife to loosen all around each donut.  Tip them over a cooling rack.  Not all mine came out easily.  Some I had to work at with the plastic knife and gently tugging at them.  Let them cool completely before icing.

Chocolate Icing

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons cream

1/4 cup peanuts, chopped coarsely, Optional

 

Place all the ingredients except the nuts in a heatproof bowl large enough to hold a donut.  Melt in the microwave for 1 minutes.  Let sit in the microwave for another minute and then stir.  If chips are not completely melted, return to the microwave for another 30 seconds.

 

Once the chocolate mix is smooth, dip each donut and then place on waxed paper.  While the icing is still warm, sprinkle the chopped peanuts on top, if you are using them.

 

Let the chocolate set for a bit and then enjoy.  These are best served the same day.  If you can't finish them all, or give them away, place them in a covered container.

 

2 comments:

  1. I will have to check out this author. Don't think I have read any of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to catch up on your blog and this recipe is killing me. Just killing me. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete