Sunday, May 3, 2015

Enchilada Zucchini Boats

I found a post on Facebook that highlighted a recipe from this site.  I checked it out and it sounded good.  I am always looking for tasty recipes that I can eat on a diet.  Soups and salads get boring.  This was very good.  I made a few changes to suit me and this is my version of the zucchini boats.

 

Enchilada Zucchini Boats

1 can enchilada sauce
4 medium zucchini
oil
1/2 cup diced onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. cooked, shredded, chicken breast
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
salt and pepper

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat the oven to 400°.  Start a large pan to boil on the stove.  Place a few Tablespoons of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish and set aside.

 

If you have leftover chicken, shred it up and set it aside.  I didn't, so I put on a small pot to boil and popped in some chicken tenderloins.  Keep an eye on it and when they just get cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, remove from the pot and set aside to cool.  When you can handle them, use two forks to pull them apart into small chunks and set aside.

 

Cut the stems of the zucchini very close to the squash.  Slice them in half lengthwise, to resemble small canoes.  Use a melon baller to scoop out all the inside of the zucchini, reserving about 1/4 in.  It is easy to scoop too much, so be careful.

 

Set the zucchini boats aside and start chopping.  Once you have to onions diced, add them to a pan over medium heat with a bit of oil.  When they turn translucent add the garlic and most of the green onions, reserving some for garnish. Stir.

 

Chop the little half circles of zucchini and add to the onion mixture.  Then it is time to add the spices.  Reserve a Tablespoon or so of the cilantro for garnish. Add the rest of the cilantro, the cumin, oregano, chili powder and salt and pepper.   Stir and add the tomato paste and water.  Add the chicken.

By this time your water should be boiling.  Add the zucchini boats to the boiling water and cook for just a minute.  Remove them and drain for a few seconds.  I used tongs for this.  Remember the water was boiling!

 

Place the boats face up in the baking dish.  Fill each one with a few Tablespoons of the chicken zucchini mixture.  Pour a few Tablespoons of the enchilada sauce over each of the zucchinis.  I had more enchilada sauce than I needed.  I just discarded that.  Moisture will be baked out of the zucchinis and I didn't want a soupy mess in my dish.  Divide the cheese over the boats and cover with foil.

Cook for 35 minutes.

 

Let the zucchini boats rest a few minutes before serving.  Garnish with the reserved green onion slices and cilantro.  I place a small dollop of cream cheese and blew the whole diet thingy.  But just a tiny bit.  Really.  Almost none at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment