Thursday, May 10, 2018

Smothered Chicken With Bacon

I like a recipe that cooks up in a Crock-Pot.  I like to use one even when I am home and could actually cook over a hot stove.  Actually this recipe starts with a hot stove and then switches to a Crock-Pot, so you get the best of both worlds.

  

Smothered Chicken with Bacon

8 slices center cut bacon
2 onions
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
1.5-2 pounds chicken breasts
1 tub (8 oz.) Philadelphia cream cheese
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 1/2 cups uncooked rice

  

Cut the bacon into 1 inch slices.

  

Cook and stir the bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove and drain on a paper towel.  Remove all the bacon drippings except 2 Tablespoons.

  

Dice the two onions and cook them in reserved drippings.

  

When the onions are golden brown, add the flour and pepper.  Stir for about a minute to cook the flour, then add the broth and half of the bacon pieces.

  

Keep stirring the onion mixture until thickened.

  

Cut the chicken breasts into about 1 inch cubes.  Place them in the Crock-Pot.

  

Pour the onion mixture over the chicken and cook on LOW for 4 1/2 hours.

After 4 1/2 hours, start cooking the rice according to the directions.

  

Remove the chunks of chicken from the slow cooker.  Add the cream cheese, milk and garlic powder to the onion mixture, cover and cook 5 more minutes.  Stir until blended.  Return the chicken and allow it to re-heat while the rice finishes cooking.

  

Serve the chicken mixture over the rice.  Sprinkle with the reserved bacon.

  

Serve with a salad or a vegetable.  I sautéed zucchini and onions as a side dish.

This dish was truly delicious.  It was creamy and the chicken was so tender.  I highly recommend.

2 comments:

  1. And, of course, this is not low-calorie, Rebecca, but then there is the veggie side. When I read it to Pat this evening he wanted to know when I would be cooking it for dinner. We finished the potato quiche and he already wants another go round on that recipe😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad he liked the quiche. And no, this isn’t low calorie. I had some recipes I wanted to try and I had to hurry up and make them. Going on a diet Monday. AFTER Mother’s Day. I’m attempting to be in a swim suit this summer. Wish me luck. No more fun recipes will be posted for awhile. Unless I just give up.

    ReplyDelete